Sunday, June 18, 2017

Day 7: Dutzow to St. Charles (35.5 miles)

Part 1: Runners and Bikers and People, Oh My!

After the Dutzow trailhead, the scenery changes abruptly from Missouri river bluffs to gorgeous, open farmland, and the trail itself is lined with wildflowers. I saw a few non-through bikers and runners. The first segment of the day was gorgeous and one of my favorite pieces of the entire trip.

Part 2: Why is Water so Heavy?

Interestingly, as you get closer to St. Louis, fewer and fewer trailheads have water. For most people going out for the day this probably isn't an issue, but I knew today was going to be ~interesting~ water-wise. My first stop of the day was at the Augusta trail-head. I was early so no businesses were open. Luckily, there were some people out doing yard work who let me fill up from their pump. I filled up my whole 3-litre bladder because I knew I might not have water access for the rest of the day.

Part 3: Trail Friends!

I stopped again in Matson, and again there was no water at the trailhead. Again a random person let me fill up at their pump. Hooray! I saw my trail friends for the last time during this run. It was pretty fun - they stopped and walked with me and we chatted for a little while.

Part 4: Maybe not the pain cave, but definitely the moderate discomfort grotto

By this point I still felt pretty good physically, but mentally it was hard to know I was SO CLOSE to the end of the journey. It was an interesting flip flop between being really motivated to finish and being really tired and ready to lay down on the side of the trail. Also, by this point the trail goes through suburban areas and it was a nice weekend day so there were TONS of people out on the trail. It's not other people's fault, but after being essentially alone for 5 days I was SUPER ANNOYED AT EVERYONE. Also, people stared at me a lot which was annoying. Yes I know I smell and have a giant pack, just leave me alone.


Part 5: STEVE HOLT!
I think this was the worst leg of the trip, but it was also the last. The mileage markers on the trail follow the old railroad, rather than the trail itself. In St. Charles, the Katy Trail has to veer around the Family Arena, adding some not insignificant mileage to what's stated on maps and mileage charts. At the tail end of the trip, the extra mileage made me grumpy. Also, there's not a ton of interesting scenery here so the run itself is pretty boring. But, guess what? I finished it! I got in to Frontier Park in St. Charles, cried, and then got some woman to take my picture.

Lizzy came to meet me and stay over in the B&B (Lady B's Bed and Breakfast), and our parents also came to take us out to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment