Sunday, June 18, 2017

Day 3: Pilot Grove to Rocheport (25 miles)

Part 1: Confederate Flags Ahoy

After Lizzy's knee was acting up at the end of the day yesterday, we started out at a walk and pretty much stayed there the rest of the morning. We tried running a few times, but Lizzy's knee wasn't having it, and her achilles was starting to bother her too. She had to decide whether she would try to finish out the day, and I had to decide whether I would continue on solo if Lizzy decided to stop.

We actually missed a small segment of trail here because we decided to go to the Wal-Mart in Boonville for a resupply, so we left the trail before the Boonville trail head to shorten the walk to Wal-Mart.

Lizzy decided to not to continue on, before her knee pain turned into an injury that would leave her unable to run for months, and I decided to keep going.



Part 2: Tears at the Boonslick Bridge

This was definitely the low point of the trip for me. I always envisioned that Lizzy and I would finish the Katy Trail together, so it felt weird and sad to be continuing on by myself. If you run, you're probably familiar with the 'anger run.' Something in your life isn't quite going to plan or something upsetting has happened, so you push the pace a little too hard so that maybe you can exhaust all of you emotions out. Well, did you know it's possible to sustain that for 13.3 miles in the middle of a 240 mile journey? I covered these miles in a haze of tears and anger, and then cried some more when I got Rocheport.

I stayed at the Katy Trail B&B, which is a 'self-serve' bed and breakfast; you let yourself in with a code and help yourself to continental breakfast in the morning. I was very glad I didn't have to interact with humans that night.

I resolved that I would at least make the ~8 miles trek to Columbia, MO the next morning, and if I was still feeling miserable, I would head in to Columbia and catch a bus home.

Total recorded mileage: 22.3 (we walked ~3 miles we didn't record)

No comments:

Post a Comment