Sunday, June 18, 2017

Day 6: Bluffton to Dutzow (36.9 miles)

Part 1: Feeling Last Night's 'Sprint' to Beat the Rain

During the day's first miles I could DEFINITELY tell I didn't eat enough the previous day. Looking back now, I think this was the crappiest I felt physically. I made it to Rhineland, MO and had several cups of coffee and a gigantic ham and cheese omelet.




Part 2: Coffee and Calories is the Cure for Self-Pity

I felt SO much better after having a big breakfast. I think if I ever do something like this again, eating later in the morning is the way to go. I was never hungry first thing in the morning, and even though these morning miles were rough, when I was ready to eat I was able to get a TON of food down.

Part 3: Five-Mile Chunks are Feeling Mentally and Physically Do-Able Today, but Not Much More at One Time

I was really feeling the previous night's fast miles to beat the rain, and thinking about the fact that I needed to run 37 miles was overwhelming. I thought about one five mile chunk at a time and ticked off the miles that way.

My Colorado and Arizona trail friends passed me here. Yay!

Part 4: Kamikaze Butterflies
Part 5: Today's Theme is Eat and Eat Some More

If you do a mega running adventure like this seriously eat as much as you can. Any time your stomach can handle food eat as much as you can!

Part 6: Still Enjoying Myself, but the Closer You Get to the End, the More You're Ready to be Done

By this point, something clicked in my head and I knew that I would make it through the day and I knew that I would make it to the end of the Katy Trail. This was a happy thought, and I was grateful for the miles I'd already run and the miles I had yet to run, but I was starting to feel more and more ready to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment